Monday, February 29, 2016

Intro to my 20-Time Project: Risk Factors for Diabetes and Heart Disease

The 20-time project, also called a passion project, refers to the idea that we get to use 20% of class time to work on a project of our interest. Every Monday, in class, this semester we will be working on a project of our choice and reflecting on our progress every other week.
In a nutshell, my project centers around exploring risk factors for diabetes and heart disease in South Asians.
My essential question for this project is this: what are some of the most prevalent risk factors for diabetes and heart disease in South Asians, and how aware are people about their risk factors? I will conduct a study, and using a questionnaire I will gather data at the end of the study that will give me an idea of how what people's risk factors are in my immediate community. One of my long-term goals for my 20-time project are to determine the general level of awareness in the South Asian community, and to make others aware of this too, so that if a person is at risk for diabetes or heart disease, they can make lifestyle changes as soon as possible.
Doing research and subsequently creating the questionnaire for my study will take some time, but I hope to get these steps underway as quickly as possible. The next steps in my project will be to gather data; I will meet with many people and ask them these questions. I think my study will be more accurate if I include as many people in my sample as possible. I can measure weekly progress by the number of new people I've interviewed, or the amount of research that I have done.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really good project that definitely affects a lot of people! I know many Indians who have diabetes and many who are at risk because of their ancestry so this will be useful for helping those people. Also, as well as risk factors, maybe you could find out what in South Asians' lifestyles could cause disease, like maybe their diet or climate where they live. Do you think you could do more than a questionnaire to make your study even more accurate? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete